Moving Home

If you are a tenant, you have a few options when it comes to moving home. Find out more information below. If you have any questions, please contact your Housing Officer.

Transfer to another home

If you are an assured or a secure tenant, you can apply to transfer to another home.

There are two ways of doing this, 1) contact your local authority to be registered on their list and 2) contact TVH to register on HomeSwapper.


HomeKey is where homes we have available for transfers are advertised. Once registered you’ll receive a user name and password which you can then use to access HomeKey.

Local Authorities have the right to house their residents in most of our properties, but we can advertise up to 25% of our empty homes on HomeKey. Sometimes there are no properties available for advertising. If there are homes advertised, you will be able to see the road that the property is in as well as details about the rent and whether the property has a garden.

Properties are added between 9.00 a.m. on Wednesday and 5.00 p.m. on Friday with bidding closing the following Wednesday at 8.59 a.m. When bidding closes, a shortlist is created based on the HomeKey banding criteria and we’ll contact the top applicant within two weeks to arrange a viewing.

If you like the property, we’ll make you an offer but only after we’ve confirmed you are eligible, inspected your home and checked that your accounts are clear.

Local Authority transfer

Your Local Authority’s transfer list is managed by them. Each Local Authority has slightly different rules and processes so you’ll need to contact them directly.

Mutual Exchange

If you have an assured or secure tenancy agreement, you may be able to exchange your home with another Housing Association or Local Authority tenant. This is called a mutual exchange.

If you are interested in doing an exchange, register at HomeSwapper to create an account. It’s a free service and once you’ve registered (and HomeSwapper and TVH have done some checks), you can search for a new home.

Many Local Authorities and Housing Associations throughout the country are signed up to HomeSwapper. If you can’t find a property in the area you are looking for, try contacting the Local Authority directly as they may run their own mutual exchange service.

How to apply

As soon as you find a home you like, contact us for an application form. When you get it, fill in the details and send it back to us. We will do some further checks before we can give you our decision.

Not everyone can exchange their tenancy. Here are some of the reasons why:

  • your account is in arrears
  • you’re in the probationary period of your tenancy
  • we’ve served you with a Notice of Seeking Possession
  • you have a court order against you
  • if either your household or your exchange partner’s household do not qualify for the other property

Read our Mutual Exchange Policy by visiting this page

If you have any questions about the process, you can send us an enquiry or call your housing officer.

Moving to a smaller property

If you want to move to smaller accommodation, we’ll flag you as a high priority. We have tenants who are in desperate need of larger homes.

If you have any queries about the process, speak to your housing officer.

You can read our transfer policy on this page.

Are you a Keyworker?

If you’re a key worker on an assured shorthold tenancy and would like to transfer to another home, get in touch with your accommodation officer who can advise you about the process and whether it’s possible.

  • Filter by