Adapting your home for disability

If you have a disability that means you can’t make full use of your home or live independently, you might be able to adapt your home to meet your needs.

This could be minor changes like fitting easy-to-operate lever taps or grab rails to help you move round safely in your home. Sometimes it can be major changes like installing a level access shower (wet room) or fitting a stair-lift.

How to apply

If you think you might benefit from this service, you need to contact your local authority first, and speak to their occupational therapy team.

 An occupational therapist will visit you at home and will work with you to determine your needs. They’ll make a decision on what changes (if any) might be essential to meeting those needs.

If the waiting time is longer than 8 weeks for a visit by the local authority, we may be able to help.

If you’ve registered with the local authority and have a referral letter from them, send it to us. We might be able to sort out a visit from our own occupational therapist.

Send us the report

Once the Occupational Therapist has completed your assessment, they’ll give you a report which will tell you what they recommend. When you have it, get in touch with us. We’ll check whether the recommended adaptation is possible.

We can arrange minor changes ourselves. Major changes might be carried out by the local authority. We’ll be able to work out who’s doing what once the report’s been received.

Worried about the cost?

The changes cost money. If you are on a low income or in receipt of benefits, the local authority will ask you to complete an application which will assess whether you are eligible for financial help or not. We might be able to help, if it turns out you have to meet some of the cost.

How long does it take?

We can normally agree to minor changes quickly and get these works completed within a few weeks. Larger adaptations will take longer to complete, whether it’s done by the Local Authority or TVH, as quotations are required and the work generally takes more planning.

 What if it’s not possible to do the work?

Sometimes it’s not possible to for us or the Local Authority to agree to make the changes that have been recommended. This might be because the existing building structure cannot be altered or funding to do the work isn’t available. If this happens, there may be other options available such as a move to a different property.

Got a recommendation report from the occupational therapy team and need to get in touch with us?

Send us the details on email to or in the post to Thames Valley Housing, 52 London Road, Twickenham TW1 3RP.

  • Filter by