We might be able to give you permission to keep a pet, but we can’t always.
There’s some rules:
Type of animal:
- We will only consider a maximum of two cats, or two dogs, or one cat and one dog per property.
- We don’t allow any farm animals. That includes chickens.
- We don’t allow any animals that come under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.
- We don’t allow any animals that come under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.
- We will consider caged animals but there is a maximum limit and will be dealt with on a case by case basis
Where you live:
There’s also some rules about keeping a dog/car and this depends on the type of home you have:
- If you are in a flat and have a door into your own garden or your front door gives you direct access to the outside world, this might be ok.
- If you are in a house and you’ve got your own garden, that’s ok.
Please be aware that:
- If you live on an estate that we don’t manage, there are normally additional rules that mean we can’t give permission for any pets regardless of the type of animal or the type of home.
Want to find out whether you can have a pet?
Complete the application form and send it back to us. We’ll check whether we can give you permission and will let you know.
Key workers should check with their accommodation officer first before making an application.
If we give you permission
If we do give you permission, you will need to take care that your pet doesn’t upset your neighbours: if we get a complaint and find out there’s been an issue, you will have to find a new home for your pet.
View our full pets policy