How to rent a home

Housing Association’s rented homes are often known as social housing. Their construction is often at least partially funded by government grant. This means that access to them is restricted and the rent charged for them is subsidised.

Becoming a tenant

In order to rent one of our homes, first you will need to apply to your local council.

Local councils make nominations to us when we have a vacant property. Unfortunately rented homes are in very short supply and it may take quite some time to find a home.

To find your local council use the website link here:

Social and affordable rents

Most of our rented homes, built before the latest grant funding programme started in 2012, are let on “social rents”. New homes completed since then (and some older homes that have come up for re-letting), are let on “affordable rents”. Affordable rents must be 80% or less than the local market rent. Social rents are usually less than affordable rents.

Different types of tenancy agreement

A tenancy agreement is a legal document that tells you all the rules about living in your property.

New tenants who don’t already hold an assured or secure tenancy are offered a probationary tenancy. These usually last for 12 months and are like a ‘trial’ period. If everything goes well, you’ve paid your rent on time, and not caused any neighbourhood problems, you move onto an assured tenancy. Depending on your circumstances and the property type, this could be for a fixed period, usually for 5 years, or it could be offered as a lifetime tenancy.

An assured tenancy means that you can live in the property for the agreed period, as long as you keep to the terms of the tenancy agreement. This means paying your rent on time, not causing any neighbourhood problems, and actually living in the property as your home.

Existing residents transfers

If you are already live in one of our homes, you can apply for a transfer within our stock. Contact your Housing Officer for details on how to do this.

If you have a social housing tenancy with another landlord, you may be able to move to one of our properties if you can organise a mutual exchange. The HomeSwapper service is a good place to start looking.

Learn more about this in our moving home section.